Monday, May 18, 2009

Among The Stupid Things I've Done...

I've done my share of completely idiotic things in my life, but this one is very high on the list.

Years ago a guy came to our door asking if we wanted our yard aerated for $40. I then thought to myself that this could be a quick way to make a few bucks on a Saturday.

So a few weekends later I rented an aerator planning to go door to door and do lawns. Never mind the fact that I had aerated exactly zero yards in my life. I rapidly learned that an aerator weighs about as much as a rhinoceros, and is a slight challenge for one scrawny guy to get in and out of a truck. Aerators also have a mind of their own, and the experience is similar to holding on to a bucking bronco while mowing the lawn.

After my day's labor, I had aerated:

* Our yard
* A friend's yard that I did for free
* Some guy who I only charged $30 for because I was desperate
* A senior citizen in the neighborhood that I felt bad for and charged $20

After wasting my entire Saturday, loading and unloading an aerator many times, and being unbelievably sore in muscles I didn't even know I had......I hadn't even earned enough money to pay for the rental of that cursed machine.

So for all you ambitious guys looking to make a few bucks, you'll pass up this brilliant idea if you know what's good for you.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Once, I started cooking an egg for one of my kid and then forgot. For a long time.