Sunday, January 25, 2009

I Don't Care

My wife and I had a deep, heart to heart chat Friday night. This chat happened to occur in the mecca of bargains and Asian imports. Yep. Wal-Mart.

Mel is a bargain shopper and I love her for it. I'm really, really thankful that I didn't marry someone who needs to have the nicest jeans, most expensive furniture, or designer brand ketsup. Sometimes Mel gets made fun of for being thrifty. We feed off of this. If someone is mocking her great deals she knows she is doing something right.

It doesn't happen too often, but she crossed the line Friday night amongst the discount aisles of Wal-Mart. After I wandered the store, read a few magazines, and tried out the lawn chairs, I had reached my shopping limit. Trying to pry Mel away, our conversation started like this:

Mel: "Should I buy these $20 toys that have been reduced to $3?"
Cory: "Sure."
Mel: "Look! These Princess ornaments are only $.20! Should we get them?"
Cory: "Sure."

This went on through six or seven bargains. I saw a cart full of stuff and realized this could go on for 20 minutes. Then I snapped. Without even realizing what I was doing, I revealed what goes on in a guy's mind when boxed into a corner like this.

I said "Mel, I don't care if we get the $3 toy or the $.20 Princess ornament or the other things that are filling the cart. To be honest, I don't care. After being in Wal-Mart this long, I might respond to questions with 'Sure.' or 'Nah.' But the truth is, I really don't care. I don't care if we buy the stuff and I don't care if we don't. I'm just saying 'Sure.' or 'Nah.' so that we can hurry and get to the next fourty cent item you're not sure if we should buy. It might seem like I care. But, really I don't care."

I wasn't mad or mean. I had just reached my shopping limit. If we were buying a car, or a Shetland pony, or a baseball team I would care. But for a cart full of stuff that costs between one and three quarters I don't care.

1 comment:

Dansie Family said...

tom would have reached his limit much earlier, like the second we walked into the store. sometimes i call up tom when he is at work and i am out bargain shopping to ask if i should get this good deal. I ask him, "what is a price even you couldn't pass up for..." and if he says the right price, i get to buy it. bargain shopping is more of a hobby than anything else. i couldn't dream of paying full price for anything and i buy lots of stuff i don't need or even want just because it is a good deal.