Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Martha Stewart - Eat Your Heart Out

I'm a man. I can prepare exactly 5 meals:

1) Ramen noodles
2) Peanut butter sandwiches
3) Homemade chili (this actually isn't too shabby)
4) Boxed macaroni and cheese
5) Delicious bowls of cereal
Well now I can add something else to my list of incredible food preparations: SALSA!
I got a recipe from Sasha at work, tweaked it just a little bit, and came up with this really good grub. I'd like to call it "Salsa So Easy A Man Can Make It".
1 big gallon can of stewed, peeled tomatoes (We got ours at Costco for like $2.60)
1 bunch of green onions
2 bunches of cilantro
3 cloves of garlic
1-3 jalapeno peppers (1 at our house - we have weak tongues)
Around 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Salt & pepper
Blend up the tomatoes just until they're mushed up (not long enough for them to become liquid). Put the jalapeno, lemon juice, and garlic in the blender with some of the tomatoes and pour into a big bowl. It will take a few blender-fulls to get all the tomatoes mushed.
We borrowed a little chopper and chopped the onions and cilantro into very small pieces (use most of the cilantro stem). Add these to the bowl with the tomatoes. Toss in some salt and pepper to taste, mix up really good, and you've got yourself so much salsa that you can eat until you're ill. The total cost is around $4.50. Sweet!
Martha Stewart - I'm coming after you! (More specifically your money, book deals, television show, and soft, silky hair.)

3 comments:

Jen said...

change the lemon juice to lime and i'll be a believer. there is just something about cilantro and lime.

Cory Reese said...

I trust your feminine culinary wisdom over my masculine culinary stupidity.

Consider it an official change to the recipe.

Tom said...

I can attest - Cory makes good salsa!

Thanks for sharing.